Top Blog Posts of the Week
5. Matushka: A wonderful title, and no real job description?
What does it mean to have a wonderful title, and no real job description? The position of the wife of a priest is exactly this. The various languages or every Orthodox country have titles of honor for the priest’s wife. Some might literally be translated as ‘priestess’, while some mean ‘wife of the priest’, and in at least one language — Russian — the priest’s wife is ‘mother’ or ‘little mother’…READ FULL ARTICLE
4. Why Go to Church If I Have God in My Heart?
Each one of us has some acquaintances, or even relatives, who regard our gathering in church with puzzlement. Profound lack of understanding is written on their faces, even at times disturbance. Sometimes this pours out in words such as these: "Well, alright, you've committed yourself to the Faith, be that as it may. But why go to church, and waste all that time and effort in doing so?..READ FULL ARTICLE
3. On Church Singing
"The aesthetic element in the liturgy: in liturgical poetry, music and rite is not accidental but essential; ...when deprived of it, liturgy ceases properly to fulfill its very function, which is not simply to communicate ideas about God, but to reveal 'heaven on earth.' In our liturgical tradition this aesthetic structure of worship is absolutely essential...READ FULL ARTICLE
2. St. Nicholas of Japan on Buddhism
The saint just as negatively reacted to the idea he heard of creating a hybrid of Christianity and Buddhism, pointing out the “absurdity of such an endeavor, and the impossibility under any circumstances of comparing the truth of God’s faith with human invention” (III, 363)…READ FULL ARTICLE
1. An orthodox perspective on overcoming anxiety: Christ, the Church Fathers, and Cognitive Scientific Psychology
In psychology research, anxiety disturbances represent a variety of mental disorders (American Psychiatric Association, 2000). The maladies associated with anxiety include: panic disorder, agoraphobia, social phobia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, acute stress disorder, anxiety associated with medical conditions, anxiety induced by substance intake and generalized anxiety disorder…READ FULL ARTICLE
- The Who's Who of The Great Canon of St. Andrew of ...
- Excerpts from Sermons: God Granted Us a New Life
- The Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts
- The Lenten Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian
- St. Silouan: on the Love of Enemies
- Living as an Orthodox Christian in a Non-Orthodox ...
- The Liturgical Structure of the Great Lent
- The Last Judgment will Tell the Truth about us
- Maslenitsa: The Cheesefare Week
- Video Monologue: Forgiveness Sunday
- The Greatness of God and the Triviality of Gods
- The relationship between saints and animals
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Week of February 13th
- The orthodox tradition of exorcising
- Is an icon painted or “written”?
- From Heart to Heart Festival will take place in Lo...
- The Christian Meaning of Love
- On the Last Judgement
- Why Go to Church If I Have God in My Heart?
- Our Help to the Deceased
- Confession: the Healing Sacrament
- On Church Singing
- An orthodox perspective on overcoming anxiety: Chr...
- St. Nicholas of Japan on Buddhism
- "Blessed Xenia, pray the Lord for us!": the Patron...
- An interview from the workshops: A place where you...
- We are all prodigal children
- Iconographic Analysis: The Meeting of the Lord at ...
- Honor thy Father and Mother
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Week of February 6th
- Saint Valentine and Orthodoxy
- Reflections on the Holy Scripture: The Prodigal So...
- Patristic Exegeses on the Creation of Eve
- Matushka: A wonderful title, and no real job descr...
- Saint John Chrysostom reflections on The Holy Scri...
- The meaning of the Deaconate in the Orthodox Churc...
- The Nisibene Hymns of Saint Ephrem: What can death...
- Theology and Eucharist. Part I
- Video Monologue: "We are Pharisees"
- How to Greet a Monk or Nun
- Reflections on the Holy Scripture: the Pharisee an...
- To Obey like the Pharisee, to Repent like the Publ...
- An Orthodox perspective on yoga
- Some Modest Thoughts on the Impact of Fashion
- Hymns and Poems of St. Gregory the Theologian
- Person and Personality in Orthodox Teaching Concer...
- Akathist to St. Ksenia (Xenia) of St. Petersburg
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Week of January 30th
- Orthodox statues?
- The life of Blessed Xenia of St Petersburg
- The Purpose of Illness
- The Holy Father of the Eastern and Western Churche...
- A Small Child's Cry
- From Fukuruma to Matryoshka
- Video Monologue: Theophany
- Teachings of Elder Siluan: The Lord loves us as Hi...
- St.Macarius: A light of wisdom in the desert
- When can one sit during Orthodox Services?
- "I am glad to be a priest": an Interview with Fr. ...
- Instructions of Blessed Macarius the Great
- On the Modesty of Women in the Orthodox Church
- ▼ February (61)
- ► 2016 (336)