|Help support the ministry of St. Elisabeth Convent|
5. Q&A with an Orthodox Priest: "Why Do We Need To Fast?"
People should learn how to collect themself, how to control their wishes and how to restrain from their desires. Food restriction is a fight against our passions. You know, people should humble themselves somehow. We need this. Fast is not just a senseless diet. It helps us to reach our salvation, for the Lord says: “Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting” (Matthew, 17:21)…READ FULL ARTICLE
4. St. Sava of Storozhevsk and Zvenigorodsk, the Disciple of the St. Sergius of Radonezh
St. Sava of Storozhevsk and Zvenigorodsk in his early youth left the world, accepting tonsure under St. Sergius of Radonezh, for whom he was one of the first disciples and co-ascetics. St. Sava loved the quiet life, he shunned conversing with people and he lived in constant toil, in lamentation over the poverty of his soul and remembrance of the judgement of God...READ FULL ARTICLE
3. What can we learn from Apostle Andrew?
We are keeping today the feast of St Andrew, whom we call in the Orthodox Church "The First-Called". We meet him for the first time in the Gospel on the banks of the River Jordan as disciple of St John the Baptist, together with him that later became St John the Divine, St John the Evangelist…READ FULL ARTICLE
2. 16 General Tips for Orthodox Living
The following "tips" were written by Mother Pelagia of Lesna Convent, who prefaces them with the remark: "Orthodox families train their children from a very early age to acquire religious habits, in some of which I was myself, as a Protestant, brought up." Her first tips are…READ FULL ARTICLE
1. How to make Prosphoras
The bread used in communion is a special bread, that is baked every Saturday in preparation for liturgy. It is stamped with a special seal before it is baked. Here is what I learned at a recent prosphera baking workshop…READ FULL ARTICLE
- The Holy Prophet Daniel and the Three Youths: Anan...
- Top Ten Blog Posts of the Year
- On which days to commemorate the reposed?
- The First Twelve Sisters
- The Liturgical Colors of Vestments in the Orthodox...
- In Fairness to King Herod
- The Fascinating History of the Relics of Saint Spy...
- 10 Miracle-Working Icons of Saint Nicholas
- What the Orthodox believe concerning prayer for th...
- Orthodoxy and Dreams
- The life of St Spyridon the Wonderworker Bishop of...
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Previous Week
- The Feast of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in St. ...
- When Someone is Waiting for You...
- Concerning Animals and Pets in Orthodox Tradition
- The Icon of the Mother of God "The Unexpected Joy"...
- The Tradition of Long Hair and Beards
- What is Success?
- The Announcement to the Shepherds
- The Orthodox Christian Marriage
- The Myth of Little Christians
- The Life and Ministry of St. Nicholas the Wonderwo...
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Week
- Where Can One Go Inside an Orthodox Church?
- St. Sava of Storozhevsk and Zvenigorodsk, the Disc...
- How to make Prosphoras
- Why does one become a monastic?
- A Homily on the Holy Prophet Habakkuk
- A human being as a continuation of the Divine Act
- The Holy Prophet Nahum
- "The Joyful Hearts" ensemble will perform a charit...
- A Glimpse Behind the Scenes: The Three Parables Fi...
- The Sisterhood of St. Elisabeth Convent celebrates...
- The Star of Bethlehem: An Orthodox Approach
- The life and missionary journeys of The Holy Apost...
- What can we learn from Apostle Andrew?
- 16 General Tips for Orthodox Living
- Q&A with an Orthodox Priest: "Why Do We Need To Fa...
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Last Week
- On the Veneration of the Holy Relics
- "The Church is not a Social Club"
- God Becomes Human To Show Us the Way
- Photo Blog: The Blessing of the Icon of St. Vyache...
- "Fasting unites man with God"
- The Holy Great Martyr and Most Wise Catherine of A...
- Introduction to the Divine Liturgy: The Eucharist ...
- St. Alexander Nevsky: On the Outside Struggle, on ...
- St.Elisabeth Convent opens a chapel at a medical u...
- How did the census of the Roman empire set the sta...
- The Great Prince and Saint: Alexander Nevsky
- The sisters of St.Elisabeth Convent will participa...
- Orthodox theology and science
- A Word about Icons
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Week
- Personal Stories: The Gift of Orthodoxy
- Life of The Holy Prophet Obadiah
- Holy Prophet Obadiah as a Model for our Lives
- The Personal Relationship Of St. Gregory Palamas w...
- Mourning over your Sins
- The sisters from St.Elisabeth Convent invite you t...
- ▼ December (60)