|Help support the ministry of St. Elisabeth Convent|
5. British Ambassador Visits St.Elisabeth Convent and the Women's Rehabilitation Center
On November 24, Ms. Fiona Gibb, British Ambassador to Belarus, and Mr. Ian Fox, Deputy Head of Mission, visited the women’s rehabilitation center founded by St. Elisabeth Convent and located near the village of Nialidavičy in the Minsk region. Nun Varvara (Atrasevitch), the head sister at the center, as well as the residents and the workers of the Convent, greeted the honored guests…READ FULL STORY
4. About The Nativity Fast
On November 28th is the beginning of fasting time that prepares us for Christmas; many will turn to fasting, eating those things which are appointed by the Church; but is that the fast which God wishes us to keep? Listen to what the Lord said to the Hebrews, from the lips of Isaiah the Prophet…READ FULL STORY
3. Who wrote the Gospel of Matthew?
Who wrote the Synoptic Gospels? Their titles bear the names of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, but did those men actually draft them? Modern scholarship has called this previous assumption into question, with some going so far as to say that the men whose names adorn the books were long since dead…READ FULL STORY
2. The Tetramorph in Christian Art
Though more likely to appear in the Western art, any experience of Christian iconography will present us at one time or another with the image of some odd, winged creatures, with the heads and features of animals. Usually on Gospel Books, though sometimes in the architecture of church buildings, the appearance of such fantastical creatures might seem bewildering to those who are new to the Christian Faith. Yet these angel-winged creatures – collectively called the Tetramorph – are found in the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, and their symbolism explains their presence on the binding of Gospel Books…READ FULL STORY
1. When Are We to Fast: Midnight-to-Midnight, or Vespers-to-Vespers?
I have been confused about the fasting regulations; I understand them with regard to what we can or cannot eat on certain days, but when does the day begin? I am a simple soul and was simply keeping the day from the time I got up till I went to bed, then someone said that in the Orthodox Church the day begins at Vespers and so we should keep the fasts from evening (say 6 p.m) to evening. What is right?...READ FULL STORY
- The Holy Prophet Daniel and the Three Youths: Anan...
- Top Ten Blog Posts of the Year
- On which days to commemorate the reposed?
- The First Twelve Sisters
- The Liturgical Colors of Vestments in the Orthodox...
- In Fairness to King Herod
- The Fascinating History of the Relics of Saint Spy...
- 10 Miracle-Working Icons of Saint Nicholas
- What the Orthodox believe concerning prayer for th...
- Orthodoxy and Dreams
- The life of St Spyridon the Wonderworker Bishop of...
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Previous Week
- The Feast of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in St. ...
- When Someone is Waiting for You...
- Concerning Animals and Pets in Orthodox Tradition
- The Icon of the Mother of God "The Unexpected Joy"...
- The Tradition of Long Hair and Beards
- What is Success?
- The Announcement to the Shepherds
- The Orthodox Christian Marriage
- The Myth of Little Christians
- The Life and Ministry of St. Nicholas the Wonderwo...
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Week
- Where Can One Go Inside an Orthodox Church?
- St. Sava of Storozhevsk and Zvenigorodsk, the Disc...
- How to make Prosphoras
- Why does one become a monastic?
- A Homily on the Holy Prophet Habakkuk
- A human being as a continuation of the Divine Act
- The Holy Prophet Nahum
- "The Joyful Hearts" ensemble will perform a charit...
- A Glimpse Behind the Scenes: The Three Parables Fi...
- The Sisterhood of St. Elisabeth Convent celebrates...
- The Star of Bethlehem: An Orthodox Approach
- The life and missionary journeys of The Holy Apost...
- What can we learn from Apostle Andrew?
- 16 General Tips for Orthodox Living
- Q&A with an Orthodox Priest: "Why Do We Need To Fa...
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Last Week
- On the Veneration of the Holy Relics
- "The Church is not a Social Club"
- God Becomes Human To Show Us the Way
- Photo Blog: The Blessing of the Icon of St. Vyache...
- "Fasting unites man with God"
- The Holy Great Martyr and Most Wise Catherine of A...
- Introduction to the Divine Liturgy: The Eucharist ...
- St. Alexander Nevsky: On the Outside Struggle, on ...
- St.Elisabeth Convent opens a chapel at a medical u...
- How did the census of the Roman empire set the sta...
- The Great Prince and Saint: Alexander Nevsky
- The sisters of St.Elisabeth Convent will participa...
- Orthodox theology and science
- A Word about Icons
- Top 5 Blog Posts of the Week
- Personal Stories: The Gift of Orthodoxy
- Life of The Holy Prophet Obadiah
- Holy Prophet Obadiah as a Model for our Lives
- The Personal Relationship Of St. Gregory Palamas w...
- Mourning over your Sins
- The sisters from St.Elisabeth Convent invite you t...
- ▼ December (60)