|Watch video trailer from the DVD The Nun|
News from St.Elisabeth Convent
Nun Juliania (Denisova), the renowned precentor and composer, will be a honorary guest of the Annual Church Musicians' Conference in Montreal on October 5-9. Nun Juliania notes that she is genuinely interested in participating in this event because there are no events like this in Belarus. A similar conference is planned to happen in Russia in November this year for the first time.
This is going to be the 25th Annual Church Musicians' Conference in Canada, held with the blessing of His Eminence Hilarion, the Metropolitan of Eastern America and New York who is the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. This conference is supported by the Liturgical Music Commission of the ROCOR Synod of Bishops. All events will be held in St Nicholas Cathedral (422 Boulevard Saint Joseph O Montréal)
This gathering of church musicians is dedicated to further study of the liturgical tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church. Singers and precentors will have the chance to share their experiences, enhance their knowledge and extend their repertoire of liturgical music.
«Preservation of vocal tradition is very important», Nun Juliania emphasised. «This is why I will be glad to observe this process with my own eyes. While we were under Soviet rule, the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia kept the tradition of church singing alive. It might be that they preserved it for us...» Archpriest Peter Perekrestov, a friend of our Convent, has done a lot to make sure that it would happen. He took part in the historic restoration of unity between the Churches together with Metropolitan Lavr.
Sixteen years ago, Father Peter launched a project called «The Songs of the Russian Exile». He sent us sheet music no one in our country had ever seen before. We were the choir of SS Peter and Paul Cathedral (Minsk) at that time and we recorded our first album based on this music. Overall, they released ten albums with these songs, three of which were recorded by our Festive Choir. We took part in this creative process, too.
«It will be great to talk with the people who have put a lot of effort into the preservation of the art of church singing in our common Orthodox space».
The topic of the four-day long conference is The Music of Today’s Russian Orthodox Church: Perspectives in Creative Artistry and Technique. Nun Juliania will hold several rehearsals and then perform during the post-communion part of the Divine Liturgy. Nun Juliania will also read a lecture on harmonization of chants. A meeting with the honorary guest from St Elisabeth Convent will happen on one of the conference days. The participants will have the opportunity to ask her questions.
You can learn more about the Church Musicians' Conference at www.rocmconference.org.
- The basics of the faith: What Orthodox Christians ...
- A Day with an Orthodox Priest
- Hiero-confessor Athanasius (Sakharov), Bishop of K...
- The Icon of the Mother of God the Grower of Crops
- On the sand or on the stone of faith?
- Quick Facts: The Bell
- The Patron Icon of Kazan: The Icon of the Mother o...
- The Akathist to the Icon of the Mother of God of I...
- The Miraculous Icon of The Mother of God of Iveron...
- Your little bird: A Short Story for Children
- Cute Animals To Cuddle: Animal-assisted therapy at...
- Morning Prayer of the Optina Elders
- True Love in Family
- Analyzing the Orthodox approach to the end of time...
- The Pskov-Caves Tenderness Icon of the Mother of G...
- 32 Signs and Symbols in Christianity
- The creation of an icon: From an iconographer's st...
- How did the saints earn a living?
- The Genealogy of Jesus Christ
- Two homes for the homeless
- Photo Blog: The Feast Day at the Women's Rehabilit...
- Holy Tradition: The Road That Leads Home, Part 1
- The Holy Great Martyr Eustathius
- Questions that are Often Asked About The Mother Of...
- Young children in the Orthodox Church. Part 3: The...
- The incredible performers
- Why do the Saints never smile on icons?
- A look inside the Holy Altar
- 13 musical instruments from the Bible
- Canon to St. Sergius of Radonezh
- Back to Sunday School: The start of the new year a...
- Why is it important to take your children to Sunda...
- Young children in the Orthodox Church. Part 2: The...
- Making the Sign Of The Cross
- The head choir conductor of St.Elisabeth Convent t...
- Three Christian Virtues: Love
- Man is free to live without sin
- St. John Chrysostom: An Excerpt from "Concerning L...
- ▼ October (39)